ETSE provides students with advising for degree completion, career choices, and life choices. Together, you and your mentor can develop your degree plan consistent with your major and areas of interest, including minors and concentrations and fulfilling NMSU and State of New Mexico General Education requirements. Working with your mentor will help you to make timely and satisfactory progress toward your degree. Your advisor acts as a guide, helping you plot the course of your degree.
Be sure to stay up to date of when class begins, when registration is open, or the last day to drop a course.
NMSU has centralized advising. Students have have the option to schedule their academic advising appointment online in addition to calling (575-646-2941) or coming in-person (Garcia Center 129). Students can go to Find Your Advisor/Book An Appointment to select the appointment time. We encourage all students to meet with an academic advisor at least once a semester.
You can register your classes online though your My NMSU account. On the “Student” tab, they can click “Registration” and choose the semester to view all the available classes and register. Under “Look Up Classes,” you can select a subject, or select multiple subjects by holding down CTRL on the keyboard. After you search, all classes for the selected semester that fit your search will come up (even if registration is closed for that class). You can then click the checkbox for the selected class and choose “Register”.
From the Registration page, choose the term by clicking “Select Term”. Then choose “Registration Status”. It will bring up the dates you may register for the selected term and also information about any holds you may have that prevent registration
To view your financial aid information online, first, go to my.nmsu.edu and log in with your NMSU username and password. Click on the “Student” tab and then “Financial Aid” from the list. You can contact the Scholarship Coordinator for the College of Engineering, Monica Lopez, at:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (575) 646-2913
- Location: Goddard Hall
Viewing Your Schedule
First, go to my.nmsu.edu and log in with your NMSU username and password. Click on the “Student” tab and then “Registration” from the list. There are several different ways to view your course schedule from the Registration page.
- “Week at a Glance” shows your classes for the current week and you can search for a different week from that page as well.
- “Concise Student Schedule” shows your basic information as well as all of your classes. The meeting times and locations are included on this schedule as well.
- “Student Detail Schedule” shows you a very detailed schedule of your classes for the selected term. It shows all information about the class including meeting times and the location of the classroom.
On my.nmsu.edu, click on the “Student” tab and then “Registration” from the list. Select the semester from the dropdown box. Click “Order Books from Barnes & Noble”, then “Go to Bookstore Website”. You aren’t forced to order from it, but it will bring up a list of books and other materials your professors have requested that you get.
Need a little help? Please contact your instructor or advisor for information about specific course questions. Your instructor should be your first choice for help with a specific course; however, there are other student services and resources available.
Keep track of your graduation progress through the Star Audit. You will have to log in with your NMSU username and password (same as myNMSU). Follow the instructions given, and a degree audit report will be created for you.
The following needs to be completed in order to graduate:
- Set up an appointment with Department Head to have a final degree check prepared. This will take about 15 minutes. Call (575) 646-2236 to schedule a meeting. Distance education students can set up a phone meeting to have the degree check prepared.
- You need to apply for your degree when registering your last semester. This can be done online here. You’ll need to log in with your NMSU username and password. (How to Apply for a Degree)
- Pay attention to deadlines! The deadline for submitting your graduation application is usually the 2nd week of classes.
- Contact and schedule appointments with your advisor/mentor if you have questions
- Check your NMSU email account regularly to stay up to date with current information, (the NMSU email is your official communication method)
- Create a proposed schedule for this semester and following semesters,
- Pay close attention to co- and prerequisites for each course; also if they are fall, spring, or summer only offered courses
- Consider your career goals when choosing electives, concentrations, or Minors,
- Track your individual progress by logging into the STAR Audit System,
- Be aware of important dates and deadlines i.e., drop/add, scholarships etc. – see the link: NMSU Advising
- Seek your faculty mentor if you have any questions or concerns regarding your progress.
- Provide you with accurate academic information including general education requirements and NMSU policies
- Help you design a realistic degree plan that is consistent with your area of interest as well as your career and personal goals
- Refer you to the appropriate service or department based on need
- Help with career and life choices
If you have any additional questions that aren’t addressed, you can contact the Registrar’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org and 575-646-3411. You can also contact the Office of Engineering Technology & Surveying at email@example.com and 575-646-2236. You can reach out to your advisor.